Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Nature's Gifts

It's August - a typically hot, humid Western New York summer day.  Luscious!  That is, as long as I can retreat indoors from being on deck cooking to a turn while delighting in my flowers.

Even with all the political fracas on TV and other airwaves, I find myself calming down and forgetting the nonsense and fear-mongering that has been a constant for the last many weeks.  I'll save my political opinions for another blog site, should I decide to create one.

Meanwhile, I'd like to introduce you to a steady visitor to the blooms on my deck.  She is a hummingbird moth bumble bee, according to my research thus far.  If you are interested in what she looks like, take a gander at this u-tube video that someone was lucky enough to film.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdyape_1Js8

Every time I see her, I have my camera indoors and hate to leave because she seldom stays very long.  If you cannot view the link I've attached, just Google her and you should find information.  To me, she looks like a flying, miniature, hairy lobster!  Most intriguing.  Loves my phlox, roses, and petunias.

Meanwhile, life is good on the hill.  The rains have come and nourished the plants and trees.  Lawns have quite a recovery ahead of them, but they always come back.

I worry most about the giant maple that sits in front of my home, graciously offering welcome shade in the driest conditions, and shelter for the birds and climbing wildlife.  Denn said he thought it was great that we own such a magnificent tree.  I'm not convinced we own her.  I believe that this majestic maple, along with all of life's gifts, is on loan to us and it is up to us to nurture and protect her for as long as we live with her.  This home is about 100 years old, so who knows how old she is.  It would take quite a few of us with joined hands to circle her perimeter.  She is taller than my two story home and almost as wide across in full leaf.

I'd love to tap her in spring, but that would mean boiling her sap down in my kitchen, 24 hours a day until it becomes syrup.  Now, there's a very funny story in my life about doing exactly that, and I promise I will tell you shortly, after I discuss it with my son who ends up being the spotlighted character of the very funny (well, to all of us except him!) episode.  Do come back and look for it.

Meanwhile, it's always a pleasure knowing that my little missives might bring a smile to your face, curiosity to your mind, or seeds for growth to your spirit.  Later......

No comments:

Post a Comment