Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Remembering Ritual

It's 2:50 in the afternoon.  The alarm on my cell phone just reminded me of the time, which is a daily ritual. The picture on the screen of my cell is that of my sweet and funny mom who departed her earthly bonds at 2:50 on a sunny afternoon in May.  Some folks think I'm a little off kilter, while others think it's very sweet.  It's not like I need a reminder to remember this bright light of my life, but it's nice to have a little tap on my shoulder every afternoon to nudge me to take a minute and remember her.  Now, it's not just that I think fun thoughts of her, but in bringing her to mind,  I re-member her back into this world.  I join her back with all of those who loved her.  She comes back into the circle, if only for a moment.  I only hope I'm not disrupting a favorite activity she might be involved in when I call her back every afternoon!
You know, it's just so easy to let one day run into the next without giving specific thought to those we no longer see or have an earthly connection to.  I take great solace in knowing that at 2:50 every single day, I welcome mom back into my life in a very tangible way.  Is there someone you'd like to keep closer to you?  Try my little trick and see if it works as well for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment